Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Mount Daisen in Yonago, Tottori, Japan

I apologize for my lateness in posting pictures from my journey to Mount Daisen!  I have been insanely busy with work, and now I just returned from a trip to Tokyo (the pictures from that will appear after this entry).

Two weeks ago, my co-workers and I took a trip to Yonago, which is a small town within Tottori Prefecture.  We had to pick up my Residence Card since I will be in Japan for longer than three months.  We strolled down the downtown section of Yonago and saw beautiful souvenirs for sale.  Yonago is home to the author of some popular anime and manga.


 Board in front of Yonago's train station.  This anime is everywhere in the city.


 Being silly as the characters.


Touching the stone eyeball!


 Beautiful backyard garden.


 Posing with the character statue!


I love these red lanterns.


 Heather bears a striking resemblance to the guy, don't you think?


Kissy face!


After we toured downtown, we headed for Mount Daisen and the restaurant across from it.  The local farms breed their own cows and pigs, and they use the milk and beef from the cows and the pork from the pigs to create a one-of-a-kind dining experience.  At the restaurant, for about 1,500 yen (approximately $15), patrons have unlimited access to a vegetable, soup, and fruit bar, and they receive a package of uncooked beef and pork to grill at their tables.  I have to say, that meat was probably the best I have ever eaten.


 Vegetables on the table's grill and some miso soup to enjoy while waiting for them to cook.


 Pork on the left and beef on the right.


 The finished product!  The gravy-like sauce that comes with the meat adds a savory flavor that only enhances the delicious taste.


 "Daisen Farm Home of Milk."  If you can make a stop here during your travels in Japan, please do so.  You will not regret this detour.


After we finished our meal, we took some time to enjoy the views around us.  Mount Daisen itself is a beautiful volcanic mountain surrounded by lush grass and flowers.






 This is the field in front of the restaurant.  Can you see the Sea of Japan?




On our way back home.  The tunnels make quite a scenic route.


As an irrelevant bonus, here is a picture of a Japanese toilet.  I know many of you have questions about it, so here is a snapshot from yours truly.

 Yes, you must squat to use it.  I understand the gastrointestinal benefits that result from using the commode in this fashion, but I still prefer Western toilets.


Japan's Mount Fuji is famous in its own right for its size and beauty, but don't disregard the majestic Mount Daisen.   Wandering outside of the major tourist attractions may give you pleasant surprises.

Until next time, please enjoy your day, and thank you for viewing my blog entries!

No comments:

Post a Comment