Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Preparation for Japan: How to Stay Sane

I interviewed in April for my teaching job and received the job offer only four days after my personal interview.  I had the weekend to decide whether I wanted to bid my loved ones good-bye for a year.  Obviously, I decided to scramble to pack my bags and have all of my documents in order: I was leaving in June.

Fortunately for me, I had my passport already, thanks to a trip to Nova Scotia three years ago.  If you would like to teach overseas, even if you are not guaranteed a job, I strongly recommend that you apply for a passport.  Make sure that you apply for a passport that covers every continent (there is a form for only North America).  You can visit your local post office, clerk of courts office, or another certified government building (check here for locations for your state: http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/) to turn in your paperwork if you filled it out online and printed it.  I recommend taking at least an hour to fill out the necessary paperwork and then going to one of those locations to have it processed.  Here's where you need to go: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

I then needed to wait for my company to send me the visa paperwork.  I had to fill out some forms that they sent me via e-mail so that Japan's government could check my files and make sure that I was truly who I claimed to be.  This process took less than a month, thanks to the efficiency of my company and our cooperation in staying in touch.  Here's a link to the embassies of Japan in the USA: http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/english/html/index.html.
You can locate your consulate (mine is in Nashville, TN) and even sign up for e-mails to notify you of events with the consulate.  Jobs are posted sometimes, too!

*Please stay in touch with your consulate if you are planning on obtaining a visa.  I didn't receive mine until two days before I left America, which is no one's fault but the long and technical process's.  I checked in on it two days before it arrived because I hadn't heard anything for a week, and my papers clearly stated when I was departing. Japan usually writes dates with the day, month, and year (sometimes with the year, day, and month), so the consulate assumed I was leaving in September rather than in June.  That wouldn't have been good for me at all.

If you plan on going to Japan even just to visit, you must make sure that any prescription medication you need to bring into the country is legal, or you must fill out the paperwork for a "Yakkan Shoumei," or an official document that states what medications you are bringing into the country and what their purposes are.  I have read through different Websites, and most suggest that stimulants and antidepressants are the main types of drugs that must be reported.   *Also, some substances, even in over-the-counter medicines, that are perfectly legal in the USA are illegal in Japan.  Please read this to see what you must do in regards to bringing in medicine. 

I brought in only oral contraceptives, and I did not need to fill out a Yakkan Shoumei.  Now, my first worry was the amount I was bringing in.  I needed a year's supply, of course, since I am living here for a year, and nearly every document has stated that I need to fill out a Yakkan Shoumei.  I contacted my company and my consulate, and the correspondents both assured me that oral contraceptives do not cause any alarm or require special measures.  If you are concerned, however, I suggest that you fill out the paperwork and contact your consulate.  I have my doctor's prescriptions with me in case of an emergency.

Pain medicine is widely available in most stores.  I have tried Bufferin, which is akin to Tylenol, and it works very well at relieving my aches quickly and for a long time.  I recommend cutting the pill in half; it's rather large.  I don't know the specifics for aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen brands, so if you have allergies or preferences, please consult a doctor, your consulate, or a medical site.  This forum shares some helpful tips on brands and dosage, too.

Contact lenses are not a problem at all.  I ordered a year's supply through my optometrist's office (Wal-Mart with 1-800-Contacts) and have them with me in my apartment.  I also have a copy of my eye exam and prescription in case I should need any more contacts or a health exam.

Here is another helpful link with more medicine information and facts about safety and crime: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1148.html.

I then needed to begin stocking up on supplies and toiletries. Not everyone who goes to Japan stays for as long as I am, but there are some items that we use in the USA that are not available in Japan.  Perhaps bigger cities that cater to tourists (Tokyo, Osaka) carry popular Western brands and items, but I wouldn't risk failing to bring the following:

  • deodorant (Japanese brands are not the same as the ones in the USA.  I haven't tried any, but my recruiters and co-workers have warned me to avoid them if I am used to a certain brand.  I like to experiment with cosmetics, but I am hesitant to try something that could make me smell bad!)
  • toothpaste (again, I haven't had a chance to try this because I am living off of the amount of Colgate I brought from the States.  I am willing to give the Japanese brands a try, though, when the time comes.  In case you are concerned, I read this article that has useful information on finding toothpaste in Japan: http://injapan.gaijinpot.com/live/health-and-fitness/2011/03/04/how-to-find-good-toothpaste-in-japan/)
  • sunscreen and face lotion/cream (American sunscreen is thicker and supposedly more potent, but my co-worker uses Japanese brands, too.  She informed me that face creams are really liquids that don't work as well on her face as the ones she uses back in the States.  Make sure that the lotions do not contain skin-lightening ingredients.  While many ladies in America worship the sun and tanning, most Japanese women want to become paler.)
  • towels (most Japanese towels are thinner than the thick ones we're used to in America.  I wouldn't bother bringing some if you are going to be staying in a hotel, though; hotels have every amenity you can imagine!)
  • clothing, shoes, undergarments, socks (unless you are relatively thin or have a smaller frame, please make sure to bring enough of your personals.  I wear about a size 2-4--depending on the company in America--and am a medium in Japan.  I have a small bust but slightly curvy hips.  I have seen some larger Japanese people who dress just fine, but if you don't want to spend the majority of your traveling in the mall, I suggest you make sure to pack enough attire.  Also, socks can be a little expensive, around 500 yen for just two.  Shoe sizes go by centimeters.  I am a size 8 to 8 1/2, which is about a size 23-24 cm.  Just try some on if you're interested.  Keep in mind that bigger sizes are not as readily available.)
*Please note that I am sharing the same advice my recruiters, fellow bloggers, and friends have shared with me.  Japan's economy and modernity are on par with the USA's, so I wouldn't worry if I had to use a Japanese product listed above.  Soap, face washes, shaving tools, shampoos, conditioners, styling products, styling tools, body washes, hair dyes, etc., are all available here, too.  

*I also brought my own cosmetics with me, but I am always willing to give any brand a go.  I have seen Maybelline and L'Oreal in the drugstores and department stores, and bigger cities usually have Clinique, Estee Lauder, and Lancome.  Be careful of Japanese facial cosmetics; many contain skin-whitening substances.  


*For the ladies of child-bearing ages, fear not: sanitary napkins/pads are abundant here.  Do keep in mind that sizes are in centimeters (metric system, after all).  I recommend bringing some of your favorite brands with you and then looking around for Japanese brands.  I prefer size 23; the largest ones cover the entire length of your underwear and feel like diapers.  :/  I haven't seen tampons here, but I don't use those often anyway.  This is another item to keep in mind.

So far, I have felt like I am right at home here in Japan.  I have the Internet through NTT in my apartment, an iPhone, and a bike.  My supervisor and co-workers have been a tremendous help in every aspect of my stay here.

*Speaking of phones, unless you have a special international phone, you should keep in mind that Japan has a different frequency than America, so  your cell phone probably will not pick up a signal here.  I bought an iPhone here and have a fantastic plan with unlimited Internet usage and texting to SoftBank users (SoftBank and au are two major cell phone providers).  I use Skype to call home (I bought a subscription for unlimited calls to any US phone for only $7 a month).  Calling directly from my cell phone over here is about 30 yen per 30 seconds to Japanese phones unless I call someone with the same provider, so I limit communication to texting (or e-mailing, as it is called here).

Please ask me any questions.  I may have forgotten to list something here, after all.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment